Saturday, June 29, 2013

Standing on the Promises

Hello everyone,

Tonight I was thinking about the promises of God. He has given us a lot of amazing promises. And not only has He given us a lot of amazing promises, but tonight I was thinking about how He keeps them. He doesn't keep them sometimes...not only if He's having a good day...not only if He's "in the mood." He always keeps them. Humans will fail us, but He never will. His promises stand. They don't waver or change.

Who changes? I do. We do. We doubt, we question, we worry, and we fear. And when we do these things, our focus is shifted from trusting in Him, to focusing on our own efforts to solve our own problems. But when has relying all on our own strength ever ended well? We weren't created to carry our burdens alone. We need His help. I want to remember to keep trusting Him to keep all of those amazing promises.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful." -Hebrews 10:23 (NIV)

I am nothing without Him


When I was little, I remember singing this hymn with my parents. I sang it with all my heart, and though I don't remember if I fully comprehended it at such a young age, it helps me a lot today. Sometimes it will pop into my head when I am feeling down, or when I am confused and unsure of what to do.


Standing on the promises of Christ my King. Through eternal ages let his praises ring; glory in the highest, I will shout and sing, standing on the promises of God.

Refrain:
Standing, standing,
standing on the promises of Christ my Savior;
standing, standing,
I'm standing on the promises of God.

Standing on the promises that cannot fail, when the howling storms of doubt and fear assail, by the living Word of God I shall prevail, standing on the promises of God.
(Refrain)

Standing on the promises of Christ the Lord,  bound to him eternally by love's strong cord, overcoming daily with the Spirit's sword, standing on the promises of God.
(Refrain)

Standing on the promises I cannot fall, listening every moment to the Spirit's call, resting in my Savior as my all in all, standing on the promises of God.
(Refrain)


-"Standing on the Promises" - R. Kelso Carter


I hope you enjoyed this post :) Happy Weekend!

~foreverfaith <3

No comments:

Post a Comment