Monday, September 17, 2012

If Only...

If only we could push past the labels. If only we could dig a little deeper to see things the way they really are.

Of course, it is just human nature to make labels. It's what our brains do. We like to create patterns and categories to make things easier to understand.

Some labels are true. However, I personally think that many of them are not.

Sometimes pushing past labels isn't an easy thing to do. You have to stop and think about it. You have to consider the other options and why things are the way they are. That helps you understand.

It's actually something that I do a lot. I often put myself in other people's shoes.

For example: someone who is shy and awkward around others at school. This person acts that way for a reason. Maybe they have been made fun of in the past. Maybe they have been excluded from the people they thought were nice. Maybe they have been humiliated in front of others and couldn't help it. Of course, I think that biology might have an aspect in it too (a personality trait someone is born with). However, environment plays a big factor. Maybe at home, they are loud, energetic, silly and never quiet. You just don't know from the outside. You have to dig a little deeper. You can't just assume something once and be done with it. There is always more than meets the eye.

Anyway, I feel like I owe it to people to try to push past labels. I think it is only fair to give others the benefit of the doubt. I don't think that just because there is a trend, it makes something true 100% of the time.

But when all is said and done, what is important is that God always sees the real you. He always understands. And always knows why. He always cares. Even when no one else does.

"You see the real me.
Hiding in my skin.
Broken from within.
Unveil me.
Completely.
I'm loosening my grasp.
There's no need to mask my frailty.
Because you see.
The real me.
Wondeful.
Beautiful.
Is what you see.
When you look at me."


No comments:

Post a Comment